There are 3 designations of MSC teachers:
- Teacher in Training
- Trained MSC Teacher
- Certified MSC Teacher
Teacher in Training
The first step toward becoming a Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) Teacher is to take a six-day MSC Teacher Training program (TT). The next MSC teacher training in the UK will be hosted by the Sussex Mindfulness Centre and you can find more information at http://sussexmindfulnesscentre.nhs.uk/events/masterclasses/.
Prerequisites for attending a MSC Teacher Training are:
- Previous participation in a five-day or eight-week Mindful Self-Compassion course (Please note: You must allow at least six months to elapse between completing your MSC course and beginning Teacher Training. However the five-day MSC Course in September 2018 will act as a qualification to apply for the Teacher Training in February 2019)
- Established daily mindfulness practice of at least two years
- Ongoing, daily, sitting meditation practice
- Ongoing practice of loving-kindness and self-compassion in daily life
- Attendance in at least one five-day silent, teacher-led meditation retreat
- Experience teaching meditation in groups, such as Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction, or in clinical settings
You do not have to be a clinician to take the MSC Teacher Training.
Upon completion of the MSC Teacher Training, participants receive a Certificate of Attendance from the Center for Mindful Self Compassion stating that he or she has attended the TT in its entirety and can start teaching MSC as a Teacher in Training.
Trained MSC Teacher
The process of becoming a fully trained MSC teacher in conjunction with the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion encompasses all of the pre-requisites for attending the MSC Teacher Training (TT), as well as the following additional requirements:
- Completion of the MSC Teacher Training (TT)
- Teaching or co-teaching a full eight-week MSC group course (after Teacher Training) with at least eight participants
- Active participation in 10 online consultation sessions while teaching or co-teaching one’s first MSC group course
- Ongoing personal practice of mindfulness and self-compassion, including sitting meditation and practice in daily life
Upon completion of these requirements, the teacher trainee can apply for a Certificate of Training from the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion. This certificate indicates that he or she has fulfilled the necessary requirements and is now trained to teach or co-teach MSC. The bearer can now advertise him or herself as a Trained Teacher of Mindful Self-Compassion.
Trained teachers can be listed on the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion website along with their MSC programs.
Certified MSC Teacher
In order to apply for Certification, the teacher must have taught at least five eight-week MSC courses.
Certification is verification of a teacher’s competence, whereas the designation of Trained MSC teacher simply recognises that a person has completed the requisite training activities.
The designation of Certification indicates that the individual has been individually mentored by an expert MSC teacher over at least 14 one-hour sessions, has received specialised advanced training in teaching the program, has taught a significant number of MSC courses and had his or her teaching reviewed by an expert MSC teacher for competence.
For the complete version of this pathway see: https://centerformsc.org/teach-msc-2/.