The MBCL programme was initially developed in mental health services and has been well received by clients in this context. It is also a valuable resource for people with less severe challenges for managing the general struggles of life and enhancing enjoyment and flourishing. It follows the form of the MBSR course (eight sessions of 2.5 hours and an extra silent session) and supports the development and training of compassion and mindfulness to enhance mental and physical health.
A number of MBCL teachers have now been trained in the UK and you can search here for a teacher and eight-week course near you.
Mindfulness teachers and mental health professionals
Teachers and trainers in Mindfulness-based Approaches (MBAs) and health care professionals have also found MBCL very helpful both for themselves personally and as a support in their work. MBA teachers have described the positive impact of MBCL on their teaching and on managing their personal process in the teaching role. Insights and skills from MBCL can also be integrated into individual therapeutic work and therapists can decide to explicitly train their clients in compassion practice. An introductory workshop (Foundation Course) of three days has specifically been developed for healthcare professionals and mindfulness teachers as an experiential introduction. A MBCL Teacher Training Programme has specifically been developed for mindfulness teachers and health care professionals who wish to teach the eight-week MBCL course or wish to teach elements to clients. The MBCL TT Programme is offered in the UK as a six-day residential training. As with MBSR/MBCT, personal practice is central to teaching MBCL.
MBCL trainings available through the Mindfulness Network include:
Foundation level: Attendance at an eight-week MBCT/MBSR or equivalent training (eg. Breathworks, MBRP) is a pre-requisite for attendance of foundation level events.
- 6-7 day MBCL retreat: for professionals looking to deepen their practice through experiencing the whole MBCL program in condensed form in a retreat setting. Exercises central to MBCL are delivered, alternated with periods of silent practice and interpersonal mindfulness practice, exploring the main themes.
- Foundation Course: this is an introductory and mostly experiential MBCL workshop for healthcare professionals and mindfulness trainers (three days).
Teacher training: Attendance at an MBCL eight-week course, a MBCL retreat or Foundation weekend is a pre-requisite for teacher training.
- MBCL Teacher Training Programme : This is a 6 day residential training, which consists of 2 modules of 3 days each. Module 1 builds on the foundation training with a further exploration of the curriculum including theoretical underpinnings. In Module 2 participants learn how to deliver the curriculum, guide the practices, facilitate group process, lead inquiry and explore didactic topics.
In addition to attending a foundation level MBCL training, applicants for the Teacher Training Programme must have…
- qualified as a mindfulness teacher (MBSR or MBCT, or equivalent, e.g. Breathworks) from a recognized training institute. On successful completion of the MBCL TT Programme, one can obtain A-registrationas an MBCL-teacher and offer the formal MBCL-programme as an advanced course to participants who completed a basic mindfulness course (MBSR/MBCT/Breathworks). Those who have almost completed their mindfulness teacher training can also apply for the MBCL TT programme. However, they only obtain their A-registration following completion of their training enabling them to be eligible to be listed with the UK Network of Mindfulness- Based Teacher Training Organisations as a mindfulness teacher.
- qualified in a (mental) health or other helping profession without MBSR/MBCT teacher qualification. They should preferably have followed basic training and gained experience in mindfulness-based interventions (e.g. ACT, DBT, MBCT) and/or wish to do the training to deepen their own practice and their therapeutic or counselling skills with mindfulness-based and compassion-focussed interventions. For this group the minimum requirements are that one has followed an eight-week MBSR/MBCT course and has at least one year regular practice in mindfulness meditation. Those belonging to this group can obtain B-registrationas a professional being trained in guiding exercises and working with material from the MBCL programme and applying this in their own professional setting, individually or in groups. Please note, one can only register as a formal MBCL-teacher and offer the full MBCL-programme under its name, when one is also a formal MBSR or MBCT teacher.