I am a mindfulness and Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) teacher and supervisor, working mostly in Hampshire where I live. I also offer retreats and residential courses further afield, including for CMRP Bangor University in recent years. I began teaching mindfulness in 2011 and MSC in 2014 and regularly teach eight-week courses for the general public, for GPs, within workplace settings and for those affected by breast cancer. Since 2015 I have been teaching five-day intensive courses and retreats and also offer regular one-day and weekend retreats, on-going monthly groups, drop-in sessions and other workshops.
I first began teaching mindfulness when working in the NHS where I was the Manager of the Primary Care Counselling Service for Southampton. I have worked as a mindfulness and self-compassion teacher and supervisor since leaving the NHS in 2014 after 18 years.
- Certified Teacher of Mindful Self-Compassion, Center for Mindful Self-Compassion, UCSD, 2017
- MSc Teaching Mindfulness-based Courses (distinction), University of Bangor, 2016
- Trained supervisor, University of Bangor, 2015
- Certificate of Competence in Teaching Mindfulness-based Courses (advanced), University of Bangor, 2015
- Diploma in Casework Supervision, 2001
- Advanced Diploma Client-Centred Therapy, 1998
- MA Culture & Social Change, 1992
- BA (Hons) Cultural Studies, 1990
Teaching Training Specialisms
- Mindful Self-Compassion
- Mindfulness for general populations, GPs, in workplace settings, and for those affected by breast cancer
- Ongoing practice support and development following eight-week courses
- Assisting Chris Germer and colleagues, founder of the Mindful Self-Compassion program, on residential teacher training in Boston, USA, October 2018
- Mentor for Sounds True Power of Self-Compassion online training program
- Facilitator for international Mindful Self-Compassion online Circle of Practice
Retreat Lead Experience
I have been teaching on residential Mindful Self-Compassion intensive five-day courses since 2015 and on Mindfulness and Self-Compassion retreats since 2016 for CMRP, Bangor University. I also regularly lead my own weekend residential Mindfulness and Self-Compassion retreats.
- Mindful Self-Compassion five-day intensive courses
- Mindfulness and Self-Compassion retreats
I have had a regular personal mindfulness practice since 2010, following the core practices of MBSR and MBCT, and developed this further to incorporate self-compassion practices since 2013. My movement practice is enhanced by regular yoga classes and a love of mindful walking out of doors.
I am nourished and supported in deepening my practice by regular teacher-led retreats, including with teachers such as Melissa Blacker, David Rynick, Christina Feldman and John Peacock.
Research Activities and Interests
My MSc research explored on-going support for participants following eight-week training courses. I am particularly interested in this field and feel an ethical responsibility to offer on-going support to participants following their initial training.
MSc thesis: ‘Getting it under your skin’: experiences of monthly mindfulness practice support groups available on CMRP’s website at https://www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness/mastersresearch.php.en.
Ali’s website – www.mindfulnesshampshire.co.uk.